Tuesday, 14 February 2012

The Apprentice

Well I am Jennie. Jo's little sister and the aforementioned Apprentice.

Jo is sick. May got sick, so then Lucy got sick, then Ned, then Jo, then Jason. It seems Jack is the only one who avoided the scurvy. Maybe that's cos Smelly Boy never moves from the couch (love you!) That's the way it works at her house when there is 6 of you. So under instruction from Jo (I am not at all afraid of her, honest) it's my turn to post and entertain you all with my ramblings.

Let's stick with the stay at home mum topic, which I am completely new to, as unlike Jo, I have only have one child. Let's just say, my life is a wee bit different.

I have one child, the unbelievably lovely little miss Lilly. She's 5 months old and the centre of my world (she's currently sat on my lap trying to press the computer keys and moisturising the dining table with her drool). It took nearly 6 years, 4 miscarriages and a whole bunch of fertility treatment before I finally got to bring my baby home. Therefore my journey to motherhood hasn't been easy and something I had started to fear, may never happen. Jo was 20 when May, my eldest niece, was born. I was 6 days shy of 30 when Lilly arrived, by which time Jo had successfully produced enough occupants for every bedroom in their house. Bedlam for her, but handy for me. No one needs parenting books when your sister lives a few streets away with a house full of kids.

Currently, I am on 12 months maternity leave so technically, I am a stay at home mum.. Quite simply, it's a bit boring. Now, don't misinterpret what I mean by that. Lilly is everything to me - I fought tooth and nail for her very existence. Being a mum is BRILLIANT. But, being a stay at home mum is not what I expected. I used to be adamant that being at home with kids was the dream job and Jo used to tell me I would get bored. Ugh, I hate it when she's right.

Prior to getting pregnant, I worked full time. I'd get home around 6.30pm and would do all my chores such as cooking, washing up, laundry, ironing, cleaning the house, washing cars and maintaining a yard (well, I'd make my husband do that, but I would supervise!) in the few hours between getting home and going to bed so we could enjoy the weekend together (my husband works in retail so every second Saturday I'd be home alone, which is shit and another blog topic all on it's own).

Now, I have ALL DAY EVERY DAY to do these chores. Add in changing dirty bums, feeding and playing with Lil and I still have about (hmmm, x 2, - 10, carry the one) err, about a bazillion hours left. So, I go to Jo's house and get in her way while she tries to clean, while pretending that the ginormous pile of washing on her dining table doesn't exist. We try and sew things for LucyBug & Friends. I go to the shops. A lot. I am running out of stuff to do.

I actually miss work. No way do I want to go back full time, Lilly is my priority. But I am actually looking forward to working 2 days a week. Interacting with adults. Achieving something other than stain removal. Being told I've done a good job. And the money would also be preferable to a spew in the face.

I also want many more children. Bring it on, yay for frozen embryos!

Women who are home with kids and whinge about how hard it is make me stabby. Especially when they get pregnant at the drop of a hat. ITS YOUR JOB. You chose this. Now appreciate how lucky you are and stop complaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment